Click on the appropriate tab below to see the Renewal Requirements, Process, Fees and Continuing Education (CE) for a Technician
Current licenses expire at midnight, Eastern Time, on August 31, 2018.
To ensure you receive your renewal notification from the department, your current mailing address must be on file. Failure to renew an active or inactive license by the expiration date will result in the license being placed in delinquent status. Failure by a delinquent licensee to renew before the expiration of the current licensure cycle renders the license null and void without any further action by the board or the department.
A licensee who remains on inactive status for more than two consecutive biennial licensure cycles and who wishes to reactivate the license may be required to demonstrate the competency to resume active practice by sitting for a special purpose examination or by completing other reactivation requirements.
If you are reactivating your license, please refer to the Laws & Rules governing your practice for additional requirements.
The department will renew your license upon receipt of:
- Completed renewal application
- Required fees
At least 90 days before your license expires, the department will mail you a renewal notification postcard to your last known mailing address of record. You will have until midnight on the day your license expires to renew. Failure to renew an active or inactive license by the expiration date will result in the license being placed in delinquent status. Failure by a delinquent licensee to become active or inactive before the expiration of the current licensure cycle renders the license null and void without any further action by the board or the department.
|You may RENEW ONLINE if:|
- You do not need to change the status of your license.
- You have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- Your license status is not ‘Military, Active’.
- If you are renewing your license after the expiration date and your status still indicates ’Clear/Active’ or ‘Clear/Inactive’ , you will be assessed a delinquency fee. The delinquency fee will be in addition to your renewal fees.
- If your license was ‘Delinquent, Active’ or ‘Delinquent, Inactive’ before the renewal deadline, it will be moved to ‘Null and Void’ status after the renewal deadline and you should contact your board office for further instruction.
|Instructions for Renewing Online:|
- Click the “Renew Online” button above.
- Enter your user name and password
- Please note your user ID and password were mailed with your physical license.
- If you are having trouble accessing your account, please try the alternate login process, located at the bottom of the login screen.
- If you require further assistance, please contact the MQA Communication Center at 850-488-0595.
- Click “Renew License” from the column on the left hand side of the page.
After logging in to the renewal system, licensees will be prompted to answer a series of questions and required to provide certain information, if appropriate. The renewal process typically takes 10-15 minutes and licensees pay their renewal fee by Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover when they are done.
|You may RENEW BY MAIL if:|
- You need to change the status of your license.
- You need to pay using a cashier’s check or money order.
- You do NOT have a credit card/debit card to complete the transaction.
- You need to request a name change
- Your license is in ‘Military, Active’ status.
|To Print Your Renewal Notice:|
- Click the “Renew Online” button above.
- Enter your user name and password
- Please note your user ID and password were mailed with your renewal notification.
- If you do not know your user ID and password, select “Get Login Help?”
- Once you are properly logged in, you may print your renewal notice by selecting the Renew License link, then click on the Renew by Mail option.
Information for requesting a Name Change
Name changes require legal documentation showing the name change. Please submit a request including your full name as it appears on your license, profession, license number, your new name, your date of birth, the last four digits of your social security number, and your signature. Attach supporting documents, which must be one of the following:
- a copy of a state issued marriage license that includes the original signature and seal from the clerk of the court
- a divorce decree showing the name change
- a court order showing the name change (Adoption, legal name change, federal identity change)
Any one of these will be accepted unless the department has a question about the authenticity of the document. A social security card is not considered legal documentation.
Please Note: The last four digits of the SSN are requested as required by DOH Policy Number DOHP 385-LS05-12 Name Changes for Existing Licensees, which was established for security purposes due to past instances of fraudulent activity.
Certified check or money order should be made payable to the Florida Department of Health.
If renewing BEFORE your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$55.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$55.00|
|Active to Inactive||$55.00|
|Inactive to Active||$105.00|
|Active to Retired||$55.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$55.00|
If renewing AFTER your license expires, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$105.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$105.00|
|Active to Inactive||$155.00|
|Inactive to Active||$205.00|
|Active to Retired||$155.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$155.00|
If renewing 120 day Notified Delinquent, your fees will be:
|Active to Active||$160.00|
|Inactive to Inactive||$160.00|
|Active to Inactive||$160.00|
|Inactive to Active||$210.00|
|Active to Retired||$160.00|
|Inactive to Retired||$160.00|
Licenses become Null & Void1 on September 1, 2018.
By submitting the appropriate renewal fees to the department, a licensee acknowledges compliance with all requirements for renewal, including continuing education.
A licensee who remains on inactive status for more than two consecutive biennial licensure cycles and who wishes to reactivate the license may be required to demonstrate competency to resume active practice by sitting for a special purpose examination or by completing other reactivation requirements.
1Null & Void -The licensed practitioner failed to renew their licensure status for two renewal cycles, resulting in their license expiring.
Continuing Education (CE) Requirements
|Required Subject Area||Required Number of Hours||Important Information|
|*General Hours||20||For licensees with a Specialty – one (1) contact hour of CE must be completed in each of the specialty categories in which you are licensed|
|Medical Errors||2||Must be a board approved course|
|Florida Laws and Rules||1||Must be a board approved course|
|HIV/AIDS||1||Any course approved by any MQA Board is acceptable|
*For Director/Supervisor Licensees – one (1) hour in administration and supervision CE must be completed. Licensees upgrading to a Director/Supervisor are exempt from the one (1) contact hour CE in administration and supervision for that biennium
First Time Renewal: Clinical Lab personnel initially licensed within the biennium are exempt from the continuing education requirement with the exception of two (2) hours of prevention of medical errors and one (1) hour of HIV/AIDS
Board Rule Approved Providers
- General hours can be taken from a state or federal government agency or regionally accredited educational institution
Other Methods of Obtaining Continuing Education per Biennium
- Attendance at a Board meeting
- Courses completed at a regionally accredited college or university.
- Teaching of Board approved continuing education courses
- Former Board members service on a Probable Cause Panel
- Please see Rule 64B3-11.001, Florida Administrative Code for detailed information regarding the above methods of obtaining continuing education
- Licensees adding a specialty category to existing license are exempt from the one (1) contact hour CE in that specialty category for that biennium
- Licensees can surrender licensure in a given category by submitting a request at the time of renewal.
- There are no restrictions on the number of home study courses allowed per biennium
Click on Chapter or Section Number to View
Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.)
Rules: Chapter 64B3: Board of Clinical Laboratory Personnel